-

Maes Ysgawen Park Llanferres

Maes Ysgawen Park is in the centre of Llanferres village on land originally gifted to Denbighshire CC in the mid 1970’s and bought by the Community Council in 2010.

The specific aim was to create a open space for use by future generations for recreation and education purposes.

It has been maintained by the Council since its creation and won its first Green Flag Award in 2018 followed by further awards in 2019 and 2020.

Llanferres Community Council has drawn up a 3 year Management & Development plan for the park. The aims are to:

  • improve Biodiversity
  • conserve existing native species
  • provide educational opportunities for all ages
  • promote improved health and wellbeing within the community
  • ensure a safe environment for everyone using and working in the park
  • make a positive contribution towards climate change

 

 

Llanferres Playing Field Llanferres

Llanferres playing field is managed by Llanferres Playing Field and Recreation Association (LPFRA) which is a registered charity (charity no. 1059978)

The aim is to promote and provide play, leisure and green open space facilities for the children and the community of Llanferres

It has been managed and maintained by volunteers since its creation in 1996, is funded by the community and has consistently been awarded the Green Flag Award since 2007

For more information contact LPFRA by:

 

 

Photo of Llanferres park entrance sign
Photograph of younger children's play area in park
Photo of climbing frame and slide in park 2
Photo of picnic benches in park
Photo of xylophone in park
Scan of Green Flag Certificate for Llanferres Playing field

Maeshafn Playing Field & Orchard

Maeshafn playing field and orchard area underwent a transformation in Autumn 2020 when an area at the far end of the orchard was transformed into a butterfly garden with plants and equipment donated by Keep Wales Tidy.

At the same time many wildflowers, bluebells and native daffodils were planted and put on a splendid display in the Spring.

The play equipment in playing field area was replaced and upgraded with the help of an 80% grant from Clocaenog Forest Wind Farm Fund.

The park was closed for a short time whilst works were completed and re-opened again just in time for the 2021 Easter holidays. It now boasts a basket swing, 2 flat seat swings, a multi-play climbing frame, 3-way ball catcher, spring rocker and 3 picnic tables.

Access to the park was made easier for those with wheelchairs, pushchairs and mobility scooters with the laying of a new hard standing path from the main gate, past the climbing frame and up to the swings.

Other works included refurbishing the existing goal posts, repairing the storage shed, replanting sections of the hedge to promote more healthy growth and the planting of 2 Rowen trees and various shrubs designed to attract more wildlife and improve Biodiversity.

A new outdoor education shelter has been erected in the orchard area, which is to be used to run country crafts / skills workshops and other educational events in partnership with specialist organisations such as North Wales Wildlife Trust.

Maeshafn playing field was created and has been used by villagers for over 40 years on land originally owned by Aberduna quarry. After many years delay, ownership was transferred to Llanferres Community Council in May 2019 along with the land behind the park now known as Maeshafn Orchard.

North Wales Wildlife Trust kindly donated and planted a combination of apple, plum and pear trees to create the orchard in 2018. Although the trees were protected from damage by local sheep this was not enough and new fencings and gates were installed in 2019 and 2020.

Both areas are owned and maintained by the Council with the help of local volunteers.

Photo of volunteers planting the butterfly garden
Photo of daffodils in park
Childrens multi activity play frame
Children playing on basket swing
Child playing on multi activity frame
Children playing with ballcatcher
Photo of refurbished goal posts
Photo of outdoor education shelter
Clocaenog Forest Wind Farm Fundo logo
Photo of the Heulog common land entrance sign

The Heulog Maeshafn

This area of common land was originally an early lead mining site. A number of mine shafts were sunk and when work ceased in 1907 it was left covered in heaps of mining waste. Some waste was removed in the 1920’s and 1930’s and then again in 1960 when it was used in the building of the new Vauxhall car factory in Ellesmere Port.

In the 1970’s the site was again used to dispose of waste soil and rock from excavations during the building of Maeshafn and Llanferres sewage system, until finally the open mineshafts were capped in 1978.

The site is now registered as Common Land (CL 251) under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 with ownership vested in Llanferres Community Council.

Today the Huelog is a haven of Biodiversity with at least 25 different species of trees and bushes and over 118 species of flora recorded during monitoring over a period of 7 to 8 years, plus fern and grasses.

This area has been identified as in need of tidying up to improve its Biodiversity even further. How and when will be discussed at forthcoming Council meetings.